None of us would ever think that we could be hit by a car when we’re out taking a walk. There are traffic lights, stop signs, walkways and all sorts of other things that are in place to keep a pedestrian accident from happening. However, the reality is that many pedestrian accidents happen every year, and they often lead to devastating consequences.
If you’ve been in a pedestrian accident, you should strongly consider consulting with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. These professionals can help you every step of the way, ensuring that you follow all of the necessary steps and that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled.
Why Do Pedestrian Accidents Happen?
Due to the nature of our busy lives, with millions of people rushing to get from one place to the next, we see accidents of all different types. Pedestrian accidents generally happen as a result of the following causes:
- Driver Inattention. When operating a heavy, potentially dangerous vehicle, we need to be alert at all times. There are distractions everywhere on the road, but this is no excuse for hitting a pedestrian.
- Improper Speed by Driver. We all want to get to our final destinations on time. However, speed limits are posted for a reason: they keep everyone safe on the road. Driving faster than the speed limit can not only lead to accidents between two vehicles, it also puts pedestrians at risk, and they don’t have a car to shield them from the blow.
- Impaired Driving. It goes without saying that drinking and driving is a dangerous and ill-advised action. Many of us know someone who has driven home after drinking too much. While the impaired driver may not have hit anything or anyone, it’s very possible that they could hit a pedestrian, leading to severe injury or death. In the age of Uber and easy access to other forms of transportation, no one should ever be driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Poor Visibility. Sometimes nature plays a role in pedestrian accidents. On particularly foggy days, it can be hard for both pedestrians and drivers to see more than a few feet in front of them. These days warrant extra caution, especially around crosswalks.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been Involved in a Pedestrian Accident?
There are a few steps you should take if you’ve been a victim of a pedestrian accident:
- Seek Medical Attention. Above all, your health is most important. Ensure that you are evaluated by a physician after your accident, even if your injuries seem minor. The information from this medical evaluation may also prove useful down the road, should your case need to go to court.
- Document the Accident Scene. If you are able to do so, take some pictures of the accident scene. Talk to any witnesses who saw what happened and get their contact information. Any extra info you have will only help you down the road.
- Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer. Your pedestrian accident lawyer will make the whole process easy. He or she will guide you through the best steps and make sure that you get everything you deserve in your case.